Thursday, July 23, 2009
Granger Memories
The first elementary school I went to was Granger Elementary (I think) it was where the new Costco is now just south of the Valley Fair Mall. I also remember walking to school - I think Mom did drive us a few times but I remember they had to put a light bulb under the hood of that old green Pontiac (?) so that it would start in the morning. I can remember going split sessions to Granger and school would start at 6:30 or 7:00 AM. Bob and I would walk down that long, desolute, dark road (where the mall is now) and to make it less boring I liked to zig-zag across the street from one light pole to the next. Now that I think about it, that probably made the way to school about twice as long. After that I went to Hillsdale and Stansbury (I think, boy my memory is faded). Do you remember that little store across the street from one of those schools where they sold penny candy? They had these big wrapped suckers you could buy and sometimes they had a coupon inside for a free sucker. I won lots of free suckers. Speaking of candy, do you remember going to the Safeway store on 35th South and buying candy bars for 5 cents or 6 for $.25? I also remember being sent on apple fritter runs - we would buy several and bring them home and share them. I still like apple fritters.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What a fantastic idea Mom! I never knew ANY of those things about you! Keep posting! And if anyone else has any memories, write them down here too. I'd LOVE to read about what things were like when you were little. And the things that you've forgotten I'm sure someone remembers. Hopefully! Thanks, Mom! Love ya!
ReplyDelete